Tuesday 29 June 2010

Itchy fingered novice

Well it's been three days since we put the colony in the hive. They are still there although they aren't feeding much. They had about half a litre of syrup overnight on Saturday and since then they are only getting through a smidgen a day. They are flying well so maybe they are getting their feed elsewhere, the blackberry flowers are abundant at the moment. I am itching to get in there and have a look to see if they are drawing out the comb on the brood frames but have to settle with looking through the mesh on the crown board. They are still there and seem busy doing something so all is well. It's apparently 2 weeks before I can get in there and do a proper inspection of what is going on. The dog like to keep an eye on them too but knows not to go on the plot so doesn't get any closer than this.

Carl from the association mentioned that someone had given him a glass crown board so he, as a novice too, could see what was going on in the hive after he had installed his first bees. I will investigate one of these although I fear that letting the light in every time I check the feed would be as disruptive as taking the crown board off altogether. We'll see (or not).

All other allomenteers on the site have now been informed I have bees, they are all really supportive which is half the battle. The resident nutter (all sites have them) doesn't come near my plot anymore, since I got the dog so with luck they should be safe where they are. The adjoining houses are okay too, one insisted on coming and saying hello to the colony, she loves bees so was egging me on to get them. I get the feeling she is going to end up as hive sitter if I have to go off for any length of time which would be great. Having sat and watched where and how they fly, they are being very good and flying up, way above head height before heading off, encouraged by the surrounding screening that I've put up. This is great as they shouldn't cause any problems to neighbouring plot holders.

No comments:

Post a Comment